Heat not getting hot, defrost is cool

KERRY2112
  • 2007 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
  • AWD
This winter I've noticed that the when I need the heat on, it doesn't ever get hot, even if I'm driving for an hour, it's just luke warm. When I put the defrost on it's cool, even when I let it run for at least fifteen minutes. I did have the radiator replaced a few months ago and they did remove the bars leak sealer. I also had the coolant flushed a few days ago but that didn't make a difference. Any advice would be appreciated.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 5:37 PM

Heat can only be lost for a few reasons. However, I need to ask a few questions to know which way to go.

First, does the engine warm up to a normal operating temp?

Second, if it does, allow the engine to warm up and have the heater on high. Feel both heater core hoses that under the hood. They are smaller hoses (aprox 5/8"ID) and one goes from the water pump to the heater core via the firewall under the hood. The other will look the same but go either from the thermostat housing or engine block to the firewall. If the engine is warm and the heater is on, both should be hot.

Do that and let me know what you find. That will determine what needs done.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 6:18 PM
LET'S MAKE SURE THE HEATER HOSES ENTERING THE FIREWALL ARE HOT WHEN YOUR RIG IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE

IF NOT, IT'S POSSIBLE THE HEATER CORE IS STOPPED UP (NO CIRCULATION) TAKING THE HOSES LOOSE AND PUSHING WATER FROM YOUR GARDEN HOSE IN BOTH DIRECTIONS THRU THE CORE MAY UNSTOP IT

I DID NOT FIND ANY SORT OF CONTROL VALVE IN "PRODEMAND", (THERE COULD BE ONE!) THAT MIGHT "SHUT OFF" FLOW THRU THE SYSTEM. SO IF IT AIN'T PUSHING WATER EZily, BE WEARY THAT THERE MIGHT BE A VALVE PREVENTING THIS OPERATION

I'M BANKING ON YOUR HOSES BEING HOT, AND THE ABOVE PROCEDURE IS NOT NECESSARY!

THERE ARE BLEND DOORS WITHIN THE UNIT THAT MAY BE "STUCK/ BROKEN/ OR THE ACTUATOR JUST AIN'T-A-WORKIN' TO MOVE THEM"

CHECK YOUR FUSES, CONNECTIONS, THIS MIGHT BE A POWER PROBLEM

THE ACTUATOR ITSELF MAY BE INOPERABLE

WITH A LARGE (AM I PRETTY!) HAND MIRROR AND A GOOD FLASHLIGHT, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SEE THE ACTUATOR (AND WHETHER IT MOVES OR NOT) WHEN YOU MOVE YOUR CONTROLS.

ACCORDING TO "PRODEMAND" YOU MAY HAVE BOTH A DRIVER'S SIDE AND PASSENGER SIDE DOOR. I CLICKED ON 3 DIFFERENT "FIGURES" TO SEE IF THEY HAD MULTIPLE VIEWS (THE SAME OLE DIAGRAM CAME UP EACH TIME) I'M POSTING THE DIAGRAM BELOW FOR YOU TO CLICK ON

I HOPE THIS AIDS YOU

Wednesday, January 14th, 2015 AT 6:39 PM