Head lights

JIM TOCZYLOWSKI
  • 2004 BUICK LESABRE
My girlfriend was in a accident a while back and now only her high beams work why is that?
Saturday, August 27th, 2016 AT 11:16 PM

That's what you pay a mechanic for to diagnose. It could be two burned-out bulbs, a pinched or cut wire, a defective dimmer switch, ... You didn't say what part of the car was damaged, when the problem occurred, or if it's even related to the damage. If you've tested anything, what did you find?

If this occurred right after getting the car back from the body shop, that is the place to take it right away. If they don't have anyone qualified to diagnose electrical problems, they will have a shop they normally work with that will take care of it. If this is not crash-related, start by looking at the bulbs or trying a new one. You can remove a bulb, then test for voltage on the wires in the socket, but do that with a test light. For this type of problem, a digital voltmeter has the potential to give a false reading resulting in you going the wrong way in the diagnostic process. The test light should never light up on one wire. It should light up on one wire when the high beams are on, and the third wire when the low beams are on. There's no need at this point to know which wire is which. We just need to know if you have 12 volts on one or two wires. Once we know that, I will likely have to dig up a wiring diagram to figure out where to send you next.
Saturday, August 27th, 2016 AT 11:44 PM