1994 GMC YUKON GT - STALLING

• My Name Is Matt
  • 1994 GMC YUKON

Without warning, and not insidiously, my Yukon began to stall, mostly at low speed after heavy throttle use. At idle, when stopped, the RPMs are about 200-300!
Can anyone tell me how to increase the idle speed? (I've already used injector cleaner and water remover) I'm trading the thing soon and don't want to replace the TPS, or the IAC. Need an easy fix.

ON EDIT: The haynes manual says to take her in to get the idle adjusted. Screw that!

Tuesday, February 7th, 2006 AT 3:16 PM

• Jack42

Clean the throttle bore around the throttle plate with a little carb spray. It will run a little rough at first but give it a little gas and it will clean out

Tuesday, February 7th, 2006 AT 5:47 PM
  • My Name Is Matt

UPDATE:

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it yet, cuz I have no carb spray and no wheels at the moment.

This afternoon I tried to start it, it idled for a while and stalled. It would not start again, so I took the K&N filter off and cleaned it, took out the pcv valve and cleaned it. Replaced both and it wouldn't start. So I fired some ether and propane to the throttle body while cranking and it started. It would not idle, just took a long time to slowly stall. Next start we gave it some gas (1500 RPM) and held it there for a minute, tried letting off the gas to let it idle and it died again.

She's not running rough at all when it's started, it sounds great, it just won't idle now.

Whattya think?

Tuesday, February 7th, 2006 AT 6:07 PM
  • My Name Is Matt

Today I reset the ECM and received no trouble codes.

So far, I have cleaned the IAC, Cleaned the TBI, tested the throttle body gasket for leaks (none), cleaned K&N air filter, checked the distributor cap and wires for moisture, etc.

The only thing left I can think of is timing, as in the past (a month or two ago, I got a trouble code 42-Ignition Control Module, this code has not reappeared since i've reset the ECM)

When running, the engine seems to now run a little rough, and when it reaches operating temperature it will stall, and refuse to restart unless starting fluid is used. After this, the engine WILL NOT IDLE, will only run if the throttle is opened.

How do I adjust the timing or should I try and solve trouble code 42, maybe replace the Ignition Control Module?

Friday, February 10th, 2006 AT 7:03 PM
  • My Name Is Matt

Problem solved!

Replaced Ignition Control Module.

Now works as per normal!

Thanks for help.

Monday, February 13th, 2006 AT 8:16 PM