RADIO WON'T WORK

1992 GMC Sierra

bumfuzzled

February, 20, 2009 AT 12:36 PM

1992 GMC Sierra V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99000 miles

Backed the truck out of the garage and the antenna hit a bike. It stopped working. All lights are on. Clock is hanging @ 1: 00. Can change stations but it will always default to the last one listened to. Can hear nothing. Looked but couldn't find problem. Asked and even looked through a manual. Nothing. Bought radio from junk shop just like it, it works until it is put in truck. At a loss as to what is causing the problem, husband driving me nuts

Jack42

February, 21, 2009 AT 8:54 AM

Nothing aftermarket tapped into the stereo?(Amps) Try unplugging theantennae to see if that changes it. There is nothing other than the antenna plug connected to the steroeo. Does this system have a cassette palyer? If so it probably has an amp in the system too.I need too know so I can look up the wiring diagram. He replaced the receiver or the control head?The part in the dash you see is just a controller, the stereo is the " radio reciever"

bumfuzzled

February, 21, 2009 AT 8:46 PM

The radio is the original factory radio..basic am/fm no cassette, cd or anything aftermarket. We have unplugged, replugged. Unhooked the antenna and then re hooked it. He took out the radio, and replaced it with one just like it, both work well when not in the truck.. My son went looking for answers but only found out something about a part that is supposed to go from the antenna to ???? Supposedly the antenna gets hooked into it and not the radio? I'm sorry I can't be more clear or to the point, but I don't know many technical terms. I've tried to insert a picture of the radio land how it looks when the truck is turned on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/320730_gmc_radio_003_1.jpg

Jack42

February, 22, 2009 AT 9:08 AM

Im sending you the wiring diagram for an am/fm stereo.You may have to open it with Microsoft photo editor to be enable to enlarge it. If you cant read it give me your email and I will send it to you that way.Need to test powers,grounds.You will be able to see that what you sent me a pic of is the control head, not the actual stereo .The receiver is under the dash.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_92_1.jpg

bumfuzzled

February, 24, 2009 AT 7:46 PM

I will try to find the 2nd radio he has tomorrow.I wasn't able to find it in the garage.
I also couldn't get the wiring diagram to open up to where I could read it.
I apologize for taking up so much of your time on this but it is appreciated and will help my sanity if I can somehow get it fixed. I'm having my son come over on Friday to try and work on it.
I will donate more to you on Friday for all your hard work as I get paid then.
If I can find the radio, I will also send you a picture of it, maybe that will be more helpful!

My email address is " onegrandpaal@yahoo. Com

Jack42

February, 25, 2009 AT 7:37 AM

I sent the diagram to your email. No worries

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Dynamat Door Installation
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro
Cabin Air Filter Replacement