1994 GMC Safari Sputtering and no acceloration

• 1 POST
  • 1994 GMC SAFARI

1994 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Hello! I am needing help diagnosing my sick 1994 Gmc Safari. About a month ago, I changed the oil and then went on vacation for 10 days. Upon returning, I drove the van about 30 miles, filled up with gas and drove home. On the way home I noticed the van was cutting out slightly, but it stopped as soon as I pressed the accelorator. This stalling got continually worse until the van refused to start. I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor and rotor, and vacuum lines. I tested the fuel pump and am getting 60 psi on the tester. The coil is also working properly and I have made sure the transmission fluid is filled. I did also add some additive to the fuel tank after the stalling started as I supposed there might be water in the tank.

I have gotten the van to start, but when I press on the accelorator, it acts like it is losing power and begins to cough and sputter. When in idle, you can rev the motor and it does not sputter, but acts like it doesn't want to rev.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tuesday, August 12th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM

• 5 POSTS

To jenhart's question

Thursday, September 18th, 2008 AT 6:13 PM