Changing oxygen sensors

TDSTEEN
  • GMC JIMMY
I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy with 120,000 miles, 4.3L. The check engine light indicates trouble with the oxygen sensor. Online parts dealers show sensors in front and behind the catalytic convertor.

How many sensors are there? Should the all be replaced? Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks, Tom
Friday, November 2nd, 2007 AT 3:16 PM

CMACHK
Hi and thank you for responding to my question. I have taken the truck to 3 different mechanics however I am stationed in Germany and finding a mechanic who not only knows Ford but American Fords is a diff story in itself. Two told me the rear differential and the Ford dealer told me it was the transfer case. My husband is in Iraq and I have been reading and asking others their opinion and I feel personally that it is the rear diff ring and pinion (it also howls going down the road at any rate of speed when I accelerate) I put some friction modifier in the rear diff and the grinding when turning is less pronounced, I also pulled the fuse to the 4x4 and did not notice a difference. Ford refuses to believe this and actually has not taken the truck apart, they are coming to their decisions based on 3 test drives. My manufacturers warranty expired 4 months ago and there is the esp warranty on there but Ford is saying it is not valid overseas. Is there a direct approach to Ford I can take with this? Either way I have a feeling the repair costs are going to be outrageous. We just bought the truck in August from a dealer in Florida and shipped it here ourselves. Of course dealer claimed "pristine" condition and being that it only had 27,000+ miles we took his word for it. Now were in a world of hurt.
Heather
Monday, August 20th, 2007 AT 3:11 AM
MERLIN2021
Probably 3 unless you have true duel exhaust, then it's 4, they make a special socket for the job, just don't use any grease in the connector! On a 1995 vintage you may need a tourch to remove the old one! And you might get lucky.
Friday, November 2nd, 2007 AT 3:21 PM