WHERE IS THE TURN SIGNAL FLASHER LOCATED

• sjj62
  • 1997 GMC Jimmy

After reading some of the forums it appears that I need to replace the turn signal flasher on my 1997 GMC Jimmy. The lights work when the hazard is engaged but not when turning either left or right. My problem is in finding where the flasher is hidden. I looked under the dash on the left side and cannot seem to find it. I see what looks like the power distribution center with wires going in and out of it but it does not look like the new flasher would fit in there even if I could figure out how to remove it.

Wednesday, December 12th, 2007 AT 10:44 AM

• Clay51

I have the exact same problem. I can hear my hazard flasher clicking and it sounds like it is near or under the radio, but no matter how loud it is I absolutely cannot find the darn thing either and since the turn signal flasher is not working at all, no sound, I have no clue where it is at either.

I sure hope someone can tell us where to locate and replace it. I detest not being able to signal for lane changes or letting folks know I am about to make a turn. I want to get this fixed as soon as I can!

I spent over three hours trying to feel around underneath the dash for these things (I was going to try and swap the working hazard flasher for the non working turn signal flasher for the time being), but I cannot find either one of the darn things! And I cannot seem to locate any "FREE" information on line either as to where the dang things are mounted.

I just do not understand why these things are hidden and so hard to get to, it is not like you should need a mechanic to replace a simple plug in device. I remember when the hazard flasher was mounted *(plugged in) to the fuse block and the turn signal flasher was plugged into a socket on wires coming from the fuse block. Why vehicle manufacturers changed this simple to reach and repair procedure is beyond me!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/134010_1997JIMMYGMC_TRUCK06_2.jpg

-2
Sunday, December 23rd, 2007 AT 3:56 PM
  • truckchevy4

I have a 1998 Jimmy and I have my flashers fuses in the fuse block under the hood in front of the brake booster. That should be an easy fix. I hear the noise on the passenger side but all my flasher fuses are under the hood.

-2
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 7:45 PM
  • Glorybound

I have a 1997 myself, flasher is located below the radio dead center. It is a bugger to get at because you have to remove a bunch of screws and bolts holding the lower cowling. After you get everything loose you have to pry the cowling down a bit to be able to get your hands in there to pull out the flashers which are two of them. One for turn signals and one for flasher, and they do work independently of each other. Flashers work when turn does not and visa versa.
You will not be able to see the flashers while looking under the cowling from the center counsel area, but believe me they are there. It is going to take a good hour to fix too.

+2
Wednesday, July 16th, 2008 AT 9:00 PM
  • buickgnx87

Figured it out after finding the flashers on my friend's Jimmy.

First you have to remove the black plastic piece over the lower air vents below the dash. Then you have to take out the ashtray, if equipped. There should be a few bolts on the front of the lower gray plastic piece (housing the cigarette lighter) as well as on the bottom of it. Once it is loose, pull it back a bit and with your eyes about level with the top of the plastic piece, you should see the flashers.

They are a pain to get at, but if you twist your arms around a bit you can get at them.

They are both Buss 552 units, and I would suggest getting two (in case you may need to replace both, otherwise you will have an extra for another time.) I believe the 4-ways are the left flasher, and the turn signals are the right.

+2
Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM
  • GwenMod

Thanks for the help with where it is. Our turn signal was the right relay. Flashers were the left relay under the dash right were you said it would be.

Monday, July 18th, 2016 AT 8:57 AM