TRANSMISSION QUESTION

1995 GMC Jimmy

matthewcrafa1

1995 GMC Jimmy Four Wheel Drive Automatic 186000 miles

When I start my car cold (sitting overnight) in the morning it has two problems: 1. When put in reverse the car will not move right away as if it is in neutral and then eventulally will move, and 2. Once in drive, as the automatic transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, it slips and the rpms rev up as in neutral. I must come to a complete stop in order to try to drive the car and accelerate very slowly to prevent this from happening. BOTH problems seem to go away as the car is driven for approx 20-30 mins and gets really warmed up. I bought the car as a 2nd car and dont know much on the history and dont want to dump tons of money into it but dont want to be robbed by a dishonest transmission mechanic as well. Thanks

M_H_RITZEL

January, 21, 2009 AT 9:31 AM

Have the transmission fluid and filter changed. With the cold weather the filter might be a little clogged and when its that cold the fluid gets thick, slowing down the circulation.