1994 GMC Jimmy

PAMW255
  • 1994 GMC JIMMY
1994 GMC Jimmy Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My 94 Jimmy, after it gets warmed up it won't start and if you do get it to start it chugs so bad and it will die and you can't get it started again. It acts like the fuel pump but put a new one on, ingition modual and a fuel pickup, I think that was what it was. The mechanic has had the car going on a year he doesn't know what is wrong. I want my cae back help.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 6:49 PM

Next time it refuses to start do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, If you can hear the fuel pump come On- check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester designed for your fuel system to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pick-up strainer/fuel pump/pressure regulator and also listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light and see if it flashing, If you don't hear the fuel pump, check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay-Depends on what type ignition system is yours, No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply to your vehicle disregard it meaning if it doesn't come with one ignore it and continue testing
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
RAMSDEN
We have a 1994 jimmy as well and are having similar problems. We are still currently tracking all the issues. Get mechanic to check timing, MAP sensor, oxygen sensors, ICM. So far we have done these as well as anew fuel pump, starter, battery, spark plugs/wires, distributor cap, and various other parts. If we solve our problem, I will try to let you know. My guess is though that it is the timing may be off slightly. One of our machanics adjusted the timing when it would not pick up speed and kept dying, and it helped there. The starting issue is separate though and is a tough one.
Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 9:05 PM
Check and test the distributor pick-up coil and also look at the injector's spray pattern if its spraying in a cone shape and not breaking up
Thursday, February 3rd, 2011 AT 6:07 PM