SIERRA BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH REPLACEMENT

1996 GMC C1500

GWH

August, 9, 2007 AT 4:25 AM

I would like to get a detailed replacement instructions for replacing the brakelight switch on this truck. And possibly a diagram?

Thanks,
GWH

Jack42

August, 9, 2007 AT 8:01 AM

Disconnect neg battery cable.Remove retainer from brake pedal pin,remove switch bt unsnapping from pushrod,remove electrical connector.reverse to install

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_secureimgcontent_2.jpg

GWH

August, 9, 2007 AT 5:08 PM

Would removing the lower half of the dash and remove the two bolts that support the steering column give me better access to the switch?

Thanks,
GWH

Jack42

August, 10, 2007 AT 7:46 AM

It might, if you do that be careful of the small cable for the shift indicator, if you pull too hard it will break the indicator

GWH

August, 12, 2007 AT 6:57 PM

I removed the steering column. It opened up the area at the brakelight switch a lot. It wasn't hard at all. It's better than laying on your back with your head in the dash for an hour fumbling with the switch. Once the column was removed, it was a snap.I have come to find out that these model of trucks with this type of switch may quit working the brake lights and the driver not know it ! I didn't know until my wife was following me one day. I don't know how long it had been out.
Thanks for your help. I will get to the feedback asap.

GWH

Jack42

August, 13, 2007 AT 8:12 AM

Youre welcome, just happy your brake lights work again

Step by Step Brake Light Switch Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz