Getting low fuel pressure at fuel rail

TRIEDITDONE
  • 2003 FORD F-150
I recently bought a fuel pressure test at an auto parts store and when I hooked it up I was only getting about 17 psi when idle. Did a long term fuel pressure drop as well, but the pressure remains for a good 8-10 hours but does drop overnight. Another odd thing is when key is set to on but not starting, the pressure barely climbs any psi (only about 1-2 psi). Starting to think that the fuel pump is going bad, also I bought a new fuel filter because it’s about time to replace it as well. Just want to know any suggestions on this matter. This was a solution I was looking into for my truck hesitating while starting. What I mean by hesitation is the truck will start, but sometimes it will take 4-8 seconds.
Thursday, May 21st, 2020 AT 2:57 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

You need a fuel pump. You confirmed your self with the pressure test. That is also the reason for the delayed starting as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

I would replace the filter as well when you do the pump.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-change-a-fuel-filter

+1
Thursday, May 21st, 2020 AT 3:54 PM
TRIEDITDONE
Thanks a lot for the reply. I think I m going to get right to it tomorrow go grab the parts and see what I can do hoping it doesn t rain. I ll post a update and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks again you guys are great.
Thursday, May 21st, 2020 AT 8:41 PM
TRIEDITDONE
Another quick question, could a deteriorating fuel pump cause a lean bank code p0171 or p0174? Thanks again.
Thursday, May 21st, 2020 AT 9:39 PM
ASEMASTER6371
The low fuel pressure will definitely cause the 171, 174 codes.

They should go away when you install the new pump.

Friday, May 22nd, 2020 AT 4:07 AM

Sponsored links