Gas leaking from left heat exchanger

MANDOBUD16
  • 1974 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE
Hello I noticed today that There was gas leaking from 2 different areas from under the back of my 74 beetle. I replaced the hose that connects from the fuel filter to the carb, and the dripping stopped from the fuel line. However, there is still considerable leaking from the left heat exchanger. Can I fix this myself? Can I drive the car to a mechanic? Thank you!
Sunday, June 16th, 2013 AT 4:12 PM

DOCFIXIT
Suspect leaking from supply line from tank to pump possible metal line corroded. Driving maynot be such a good idea as exhaust inside exchanger and fire is likely
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 10:28 AM
EXOVCDS
Crimp the fuel hose at the bottom of the fuel tank with a pair of pinch pliers. Then lift the rear of the car
and remove the leaking fuel hose from the metal tube that exits the chassis and where it connects on
the engine side.

Do not drive the car. And remember to remove the pinch pliers after the new hose is installed.

Thomas
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 5:15 PM
DOCFIXIT
So what happened?
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 10:47 AM
MANDOBUD16
Hello
I replace all of the fuel lines on the vehicle with new German hoses w/ clamps attached at all places. Also removed the fuel filter from under the car to decrease the possibility of a fuel leak in hard to reach places. Took out the fuel tank and inspected it for wear, and it seemed to be fine. Since replacing all of the fuel hoses, I haven't seen any leaks! One of the vent hoses on the top of the fuel tank (goes to carbon filter?) Does wick up fuel though when I fill the tank to the brim. This definitely doesn't bother me as much as the other problem thought! Any suggestions? Thanks again for all of the input!
Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 11:09 PM
DOCFIXIT
Would not be concerned about vent leak back off on topping up glad to here you did not have a car-b-que
Thursday, June 27th, 2013 AT 10:10 AM