Fuse box under hood and wire burned

SMG222
  • 2003 FORD FOCUS
Wire under fuse box burned fuse melted.
A wire shorted Inside the fuse box under the hood causing another wire that I believe runs the fuel pump to burn from the fuse box to under the glove box and the fuse to that wire was also burned so bad it melted it, also damaged other wires in the cluster of wires inside fuse box and along the wiring harness. I am sure the whole wiring harness will have to be replaced along with the under hood fuse box or relay box to. I have some auto repair experience but only as a shade tree mechanic. I have looked the harness over and it also goes to the alternator and starter and probably a few other parts. So what may have caused this and is replacing fuse box and wiring harness very hard to do and is it very expensive. Thanks for any advice.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 1:09 AM

STEVE W.
From your description I am not sure I would even try to repair it.
The reason I say that is because you do not know what else was damaged. The front wiring harness connects every electrical item under the hood, not just the engine. You say it burnt other wires under the fuse box, those feed all of the cars systems, and there are also sensor wires, grounds and computer control lines in there along with the power lines. How many of those sent power to the wrong areas? Then you say that it also cooked wires in the interior. That basically means you need to repair that wiring as well, tracing down every wire to be sure it did not suffer damage anywhere else in the circuit.
Then you are faced with the issue of, what other components, sensors, control modules were damaged.
You could spend a lot of money and time doing what amounts to a full rewire, replace the fuse panel and then need to replace multiple other expensive electronic components as well.

Weigh that against the vehicle having 157,000 miles on it and being a 2003. Personally I would probably buy a replacement vehicle (buy another Focus and you would have some spare parts) then remove any good parts and sell them online or local. Just not electrical parts that may be damaged.
Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 AT 5:25 AM