Fuel System possibly ruined

So a week ago a petrol station attendant put unleaded petrol in my diesel tank, I never turned on my engine had it towed and taken to my Jeep Service. They said they would have to flush out the tank and clean it and what not. So I get it back and they tell me that when you turn it on it has a slow start i.E. It struggles to turn on, they told me I should monitor it. So just to make sure I go check my oil and my battery. At the battery place they told me that the battery is swollen which is probably caused by a faulty alternator so after driving my car for two days and the persisting slow start I book a date for them to check out my alternator at the Jeep Service again. Today I dropped off my car and after a few hours they tell me that my whole fuel system including the filter and injectors are broken and they have to replace the whole fuel system which costs a hell of a lot of money. Now I find it highly unlikely that a car that was functioning fine for ten years suddenly has such a major problem with the fuel system. They reassured me it was all just a coincidence. My question is after the petrol station incident could it be my service's fault (something they are not telling me) or could it just be coincidence like they said since it is quite an old car but still has a low mileage?

Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 7:29 AM

Was it running okay when you dropped it off? I doubt the injectors are bad if it was. Now if you had run a tank of gas through it then you would have a problem. However you say they drained it. From the description I would say to replace the battery and see if it starts and runs like normal. If they insist that the injectors are faulty I would get a second opinion from a different shop.

Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 8:03 AM