Fuel pump replacement

KRIS ANDREWS
  • 1999 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
My fuel pump on my car has gone out. In this car there is no access panel in the trunk.
My problem is that my gas tank is full of gas. The main gas line hose is in the tank, so my question is, how do I get all that gas out of tank so I can drop it? Any ideas? Please help.
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 9:38 PM

Try banging on the bottom of the gas tank while a helper is cranking the engine. This is the most common type of failure on a Chrysler product, and once the shock gets them started, they stay running at least until you stop the engine. That is the less-common type of failure for GM pumps, but if it works, you can connect a hose to the pressure port and pump the gas into some cans. Instead of having to crank and/or run the engine, you can bypass the fuel pump relay, then bang on the tank to try to get the pump going.

When mechanics do this in the shop, they have the car on a hoist, then they can use a transmission jack to lower the tank. You might be able to do the same thing with a floor jack, but be ready for some frustration. You will not know which way the hoses and wires are pulling, and it is pretty certain the tank will slide off the jack.

Most shops also have a manually-operated fuel pump and tank used to empty gas tanks. You might find one of these at an auto parts store that rents or borrows tools.
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:39 PM
STEVE W.
Two possible ways. Both start with disconnecting the fuel line at the engine or fuel filter and connecting a flexible line to it.
Next will be to connect a jumper wire to the pump power feed to send power directly from the battery. Now for the question part. With power connected to the pump and the hose stuck into a gas can (full tank you will need three empty five gallon), give the gas tank a couple good whacks with a rubber mallet or chunk of wood. What you hope happens is that the smack makes the pump turn on. If it does let it pump the gas out for you.

The other option would be to get a twelve volt universal type fuel pump, connect it to the line and use it to suck the gas out.

Then drop the tank, clean it and replace the pump module. While you are there, change the pump pigtail and check the rest of the system over. Like ground wires and such.
Saturday, April 22nd, 2017 AT 10:45 PM