Loses power

SERGIO DELACERDA
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN
Hi, my van starts fine, but when I step on gas it loses power. When I ease on gas slow it down it moves slow then picks up speed, not much though more than 35 mph. I do not have that much to spend. How could I clean fuel filter manually?
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 11:05 PM

Forget the fuel filter. Other than on diesel trucks, you will never solve a running problem on a Chrysler product by replacing the fuel filter. There is no practical way to clean one either. If one were to become restricted, the symptom would be engine stalling when the highest volume of fuel is being pumped, which is during coasting. That applies more to the pickup screen inside the tank.

What you are describing sounds a lot like what we used to run into in the early 1990's with failing MAP sensors. That sensor has the biggest say in fuel metering calculations. There is a range of acceptable signal voltages, and even though the voltage could be wrong, as long as it is within that acceptable range, no diagnostic fault code will be set.

A leaking vacuum hose going to the MAP sensor will make it send the wrong signal voltages too. Your sensor plugs right into the intake manifold so you do not have to worry about that hose, but you should check for other vacuum leaks. Next, read the diagnostic fault codes. If there are none related to that sensor, a mechanic would use a scanner to view live data during a test drive to see if anything looks wrong. I am never a fan of throwing random parts at a problem, but with no scanner, you might want to swap in a good used sensor and see if that helps before pursuing more expensive solutions.
+1
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 11:21 PM
KEN
This is from Sergio Delacerda,

So I changed spark plugs and fuel filter, but it still bogs out.
Sunday, August 14th, 2016 AT 10:26 AM
I told you to forget about the fuel filter. That, and the spark pugs won't cause this problem. Look for vacuum leaks and have the diagnostic fault codes read and recorded. You might want to look at fuel pressure too. I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I think it should be around 50 psi.
Monday, August 15th, 2016 AT 10:31 PM