Front wheels will not engage

MAINTENANCE
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck had sat all summer and the front wheels had frozen in the dirt, tried breaking it free in four wheel drive, heard a bang and rear wheels spun but not the front. I got it pulled out with a tractor, and now four wheel drive does not work in 4H or 4L, works and drives fine in 2H. Also the 4x4 indicator light on the floor comes on when I shift into 4x4, but only have rear wheel drive.
Tuesday, February 26th, 2019 AT 9:35 AM

KEN

It sounds like something broke. Can you confirm the front driveshaft turns? Here is an exploded view of the transfer case. Check the encoder it might not be working right. If everything looks okay here is how you rebuild the transfer case the instruction and diagrams are below. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
+1
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 11:40 AM
MAINTENANCE
Front drive shaft does turn, so thinking something in the front differential let go.
Monday, March 11th, 2019 AT 9:43 AM
KEN
Can you remove the driveshaft to see if the transfer case still works? Here is a guide to help:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-remove-a-drive-shaft

Please run down this guide and report back.
Monday, March 11th, 2019 AT 10:08 AM
MAINTENANCE
The truck drives okay. I can shift transfer case into 4 lo and all other ranges just fine, but only have two wheel drive. When I shift to 4 lo the truck drives in low gear just fine.
Monday, March 11th, 2019 AT 10:48 AM
KEN
Yep, it sounds like something let go inside the transfer case, it will need to be removed and disassembled. Use the diagrams above to help take it apart to see what happened. Please upload pictures of the damaged parts once you get it apart. We are interested to see what it is.
Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 AT 10:13 AM