Front heat does not blow

JOEY WARD
  • 2004 DODGE DURANGO
My SUV has no heat. The fan does not work. I can feel minimal heat so I know it heats but no fan. Cannot find any diagrams to check fuses.
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 9:56 AM

JOHNNY G.JR
Check for twelve volts at heater connector, There is a relay in engine compartment for A/C. There is also a resistor on heater box that needs to be checked.
+1
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 11:59 AM
JOEY WARD
Thanks, Johnny. I don't have a tester so I guess I will end up at the shop. Any idea where to find a fuse box diagram?
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 12:10 PM
STEVE W.
Does it have the manual controls or the automatic heat system. Different power feeds and controls.

Manual control - Fuse 7 (40A) in the PDC on the left fender. It feeds power to the fan relay on the left side of the header panel through a Red wire. Then out of the relay to the blower motor through a Dark Blue wire. The motor is grounded through the Dark Blue w/Gray trace wire through the blower motor resistor in the right side of the HVAC plenum.
To test the feed side you could take a section of wire, connect it to the battery positive and to the Dark Blue wire on the blower motor. If the blower runs and you can change speeds, the problem is the relay, fuse or associated wiring. If it doesn't then the resistor or control switch or ground (behind right kick panel, also grounds rear blower control)

Automatic control - Looks like the blower control module (right side of HVAC duct) the blower motor or the control head would be the issue. They share power with the rear system.
+1
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 1:24 PM
JOHNNY G.JR
Check underside of fuse box cover for diagram
+1
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 3:39 PM
JOEY WARD
Steve, the rear blower works fine and yes, the system is automatic.
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 9:23 PM
STEVE W.
OK, you had to have the upscale system. :-)

On the right side of the heater box you will find the blower control module.
It will have two connectors on it.
One with 2 wires that goes to the blower motor
The other with 3 wires that provides the control and power.

First check for 12V on the Dark Blue wire with the key on.
If you have power there use it with a test light to check the Black wire for ground.

If both of those check out. Unplug the two wire connector.
Connect a jumper from the Black ground wire to the Dark Blue with Brown trace wire. In the connector.
Touch a jumper wire from the power (Dark Blue) wire to the Dark Blue with White trace wire. If the blower motor starts running the motor is OK.

That leaves the blower control module and the head unit. Depending on how the control system works the next test >>> might
+1
Saturday, December 17th, 2016 AT 11:33 AM