Front brakes locking up

NOAHDON
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA
I have replaced everything(brake booster, master cylinder, calipers, back drums) and the front brakes keeps locking up. Also there are no leaks in the lines. If it's a cold day I may get a quarter mile before the brakes lock. On a warm day they will lock immediately. Why are my brakes locking up?
Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 AT 7:16 PM

. MAYBE NOT EVERYTHING!

A TWO GOOD GUESSES MIGHT BE THE THE CALIPERS OR THE BRAKE HOSES

MY MONEY IS ON THE HOSE(S) !

.I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S ONE OR BOTH. SOMETIMES A LITTLE "WAIT" AND THEY/ IT UNLOCKS ON THEIR OWN?

LETS DO SOME TESTING

GET 'EM TO LOCK UP

HAVE A WRENCH HANDY TO OPEN A BLEEDER ON ONE OF THE CALIPERS

BREAK IT OPEN. DO THE BRAKES RELEASE? (THEN CLOSE IT)

NORMALLY I SEE THIS ON ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER. SO, IF IT DID NOT RELEASE TRY THE OTHER SIDE.

THIS MIGHT BE A BAD HOSE GOING TO ONE OF THE CALIPERS. INTERNALLY, THE HOSE GETS MESSED UP AND DOES WHAT I CALL "CHECK VALVING" (ACTS LIKE A CHECK VALVE) IT WILL ALLOW FLUID TO PUSH THRU. THEN IT "CHECKS" AND WON'T LET IT "BACK OUT"

MY THOUGHT ON THIS ARE. THESE PUPPIES ARE PROBABLY THE SAME AGE, JUST FOR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE SAKE, I'D REPLACE BOTH

NOT KNOWING YOUR VEHICLE WELL. THIS ANSWER IS SORTA GENERIC AND THIS PROBLEM HAS HAPPENED ON MANY VEHICLES, PAST AND PRESENT.I'M MORE IN TUNE WITH OLDER VEHICLES (LIKE '80s ON BACK), MAINLY JEEPS AND FORDS

"IF" THERE IS A 3RD HOSE ON UP THE LINE SOMEWHERE, COMMON TO BOTH CALIPERS, IF IT IS BAD, IT MIGHT MAKE BOTH SIDES LOCK UP

IF WE MUST GO ON UP THE LINE SEARCHING MORE (IF THE BLEEDER TEST FAILED), YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LOOSEN THE "HOSE TO HARD LINE" CONNECTION (WORKING YOUR WAY FROM THE BRAKES TOWARD THE MASTER CYLINDER) TO FIGURE OUT WHAT RELEASES THEM

IT MAY BE THE SLIDE OR PISTON MECHANISM BINDING ON THE CALIPER ITSELF. IT MIGHT ALSO BE ABS RELATED

LETS HOPE ITS JUST A HOSE

KEEP US POSTED ON WHAT YOU FIND

Wednesday, May 15th, 2013 AT 7:59 PM