Fouling spark plugs / removed catalytic converters / vacuum leak.

PEGGYBRODZINSKI
  • 1991 TOYOTA CELICA
I have a 91 Toyota Celica GT Convertible with 2.2L engine and manual tranny that was running fine until about two weeks ago. I started noticing that when I pressed on the gas to speed up after changing gears, I heard a whooshing noise and had very little power to accelerate. Finally found a vacuum leak and fixed it, but the lack of power continued. The Catalytic converters were both bad, so we simply took them off. Not a problem at this point because it's a "collector" car and does not have to pass emissions; car was running great and had power though was loud. We changed the spark plugs and the ones that came out looked OK; Took spark plugs out and replaced them, then car started backfiring and fouling out all the plugs! WTH? After taking off both catalytic converters and replacing plugs. Now the car runs VERY rough and fouls out the plugs immediately as soon as you drive it, if you can consider staggering up the road backfiring and shaking at 20 miles per hour driving. Please help!
Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 8:00 AM

KHLOW2008
Did you check for trouble codes?
Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 AT 5:57 PM