I have a Mercury Cougar LS- 97,120miles
I went to start my car up and it clicked one time and all the lights and radio went dead after I turned the key. It seems as if the battery is dead but it was checked and is fine. I drove the car about an hour before this problem occured. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be? : Cry: :
SOUND LIKE YOU HAVE A BAD CONNECTION AT THE BATTERY OR AT THE MAIN FUSE CHECK THESE ITEMS AND GET BACK TO ME
January, 9, 2007 AT 4:12 PM
I checked battery but dont know how to check main fuse box. I tried starting it again and the radio comes on when key is turned back. If I step on brake, open door, or turn lights on, the radio shuts off. When I stop doing any of the above the radio comes back on. Can u help me? : : :
January, 9, 2007 AT 5:09 PM
Can you open the top of your battery? If so, you can check each cell with a hydrometer, cheap to buy, easy to use. When the radio shuts down after you open the door, is the car running, or key just on? Does anything else work regardless of door beiing open? How about if you turn on the radio, push the cigarette lighter in, what happens? One click of the starter resulting in zero power avaiable most likely points to some sort of electrical connection issue, in my experience, if there's a problem with the starter itself, you'll still have battery power available. Start with the easy things, checking all connections you can find(associated with battery and starter. Don't forget any grounds up on the radiator support, 2 things I've had happen over the years, one, grounding wire out of the ccrm unit on rad support came loose inside the plug, car failed to start(no power), and two, I was having a random complete loss of battery voltage as you are, every once in a while I would try to start and all would go dead, then magically all would come back on, turns out the negative clamp on the battery had a small crack in it that was virtually impossible to see, when I would tighten it, wasn't really helping, not until I pulled the clamps off the battery did it become obvious. Oh yeah if you're tightening any positive connections, make sure your wrench doesn't touch anything else but the fitting you're doing.
January, 9, 2007 AT 5:17 PM
I havent tried that yet but my cigarette lighter does not work. Only the radio comes on. Everything else is dead. It comes on when I turn the key back towards me and if I touch anything else that has to do with the electrical it shuts off and when I stop it comes back on. Thank you 4 the advice, I will try what u told me and let u know what happens.