Alternator light stays on but components all pass tests

BOTTECCHIA
  • FORD WINDSTAR
1995 Ford Windstar, 3.8L, 155K miles. Alternator light stays on, but battery load test voltage and alternator output voltage are good. Why? Situation: changed accessory belt last week; the next day noticed alternator light coming on frequently, especially during acceleration. Day after that, nothing happened when I tried to start car - no starter noise, not even a solenoid click - but lights and all accessories worked. I took out battery and hooked it to charger for a day, then re-installed, but still no starting action. So, I pulled out the starter and got it bench-tested - it worked just fine. And, when I re-installed it, the car started right up just like normal - but the alternator light remained on and has been on constantly. Car off: voltage - 12.3; car running voltage at battery - 14.2. Please help me identify what's wrong.
Saturday, December 9th, 2006 AT 10:24 PM

HEY_WIRE
I cant really explain your vehicle not starting
but I would check all the wiring around the alternator make sure all is making good conection and none of the wires are going thin I would also check all conections to sensors and what not.
(if not done allready)

best of luck
Saturday, December 9th, 2006 AT 11:57 PM
CARUNDELL
Hey bott,
On the alternator, look for the single wire that plugs into it. Clean the male and female connections and apply some dielectric grease. This should get the light to go out.

Regards,

Chris
Sunday, December 10th, 2006 AT 5:05 AM