2002 Ford Windstar ABS/Brake light

• 4 POSTS

Brakes problem
2002 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

Just want to share my story/info.
I have an 02 winstar with 97,000.
Like everyone else on this forum the ABS and brake lights are coming on after 5 minuets or so of driving. I purchased this van from an individual 30 days ago. Before purchase my brother ran a code check on it and nothing was found. After the first 7 days of ownership the A/C compressor went out and was replaced with a new one and the alternator was replaced. The next day the problem started with the abs/brake lights coming on for the first time. Then the next day the check engine light came on. I live in the St. Louis, MO area. It has been unseasonably cool and rainy here for the last month. The brake code comes up C1185 just like everyone else and check engine code came up EGR Valve. That has now been replace but engine light is still on. I will be running a new check in the next couple of days to see if there are more codes, because it obviously wasn't the EGR like the code said. I've noticed in a couple of post that others were having the engine light on also. Were those able to be resolved? Thought there might be a link to all three lights especially since my van has higher miles than most reporting the problem.

I will pull the fuses and have listed a complaint via the web site. I received an Acknowledgement from NHTSA of my complaint via email. Should I be looking for a letter to sign in the mail also?

One more question. I bought this van because it has the factory tow package and I have added a tow hitch and synchronizer for the electric brakes on my pop up camper. Does anyone for see any additional problems with me pulling my camper cross country with the current brake/ABS problem?

In the last 30 days I have sunk a huge amount of money into this van and the problems seem to just be getting bigger!

Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 4:51 PM

The ABS power relay that code c1185 refers to in inside the abs control module. If all powers and grounds are good, replace the abs module.

On the CEL, check the DPFE sensor. Have seen many of these as well. It will eventually cause runnibility problems.

I recommend resolving both of these before your trip or the expense and inconvenience may make for a less pleasant trip.

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 AT 5:47 AM