CRANKS BUT WON'T START

2001 Ford Windstar

BLUNDELL

January, 26, 2010 AT 8:17 AM

2001 Ford Windstar 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I drive a 2001 Winstar Van sometimes not always when I go to start it it cranks but doesn't turn over and sort of sputers when you start it for instance I drive it for say an hour works fine started right up and then if I was to stop and shut it off and go back out right away it would crank like it was gonna start but it wonts turn over. Then if I waited an hour or two it would start right up can you tell me what the problem is?

January, 26, 2010 AT 8:22 AM

To determine what's causing it try performing below might lead you somewhere, whether its fuel or spark problem

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang