1999 Ford Windstar ABS Light & Fuse #10

TOM MYER
  • 1999 FORD WINDSTAR
9/10/2010

1999 Windstar base 3.0, auto, 2wd, cruise, rear window defroster, pwr steering & Brakes.
Mileage is 82,000.

Driving home from the store, the ABS light went on, the Odometer went to dashes & the speedometer quit working. The temperature was around 80 degrees. The orange ABS light was the only light on. Not knowing what was going on, I called the Ford dealer and was told $125 to run diagnostics & the repair could be between $800-2500.

After reading internet Ford problems, I found out that fuse 10 was blown. I replaced it & all was well for about 10 minutes, then the fuse blew again. More reading led to checking the deactivation sw on the master cylinder. It was fine and had been replaced by recall a year earlier. All wires under the master cyl appear to be fine.

More reading told me to pull fuse 101 & 102 (ABS 40amp fuses). The Orange ABS light went on. (I could live without ABS for a while), Well after the car got warm, fuse 10 blew again. Thinking that the new deactivation went bad, I totally disconnected it by removing the wire. Put in a new fuse 10 and started up the car. All was fine. It sat there idling for about 15 minutes & fuse 10 blew. Not one item was turned on. Anything related to what fuse 10 controls was off.

I pulled all connectors around the master cyl looking for brake fluid or corrosion. None was found, they all look pretty good, no brake fluid or corrosion.

While most problems deal with the deactivation sw, this one appears to be different.
Also some info deals with hot weather, which has not been the case since this problem started.

To date, I’ve done this three times, put in a new fuse 10, started the car COLD and let it idle with no equipment on. Fuse 10 blows after about 10-15 minutes. Fuse 101 & 102 are out & the deactivation wire is disconnected. After fuse 10 blows, putting in a new fuse blows immediately while the engine is hot.

Playing around some more, I noticed that when the car gets hot enough to activate the fans, fuse 10 blows. I first thought it might be the fans, but when trying again, the fuse blew about a minute before the fans went on.

For the most part, the car functions fine with the abs light on & fuse 10 blown. Wouldn't mind driving, but without speedometer, it is difficult.

Any help you can give will be appreciated. I will make a donation, and if you can solve the problem, I’ll donate more.

If you need any other info, please let me know

Tom Myer
Trmyer@juno. Com
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 12:33 PM

MERLIN2021

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_windstar_fuse_10_1.jpg

You will need to check the power wires to all these units one by one to figure out what's blowing the fuse, ABS is already disconnected, so work on others, Also look for any green goo on wires and in connectors.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 2:48 PM
TOM MYER
What do you mean by check the power wires. Can you be a little more specific. If fuse 10 blows after the car gets hot, I would think that would point to something more than check all the power wires one by one.

Also all connections around the master cyl are pretty clean of any goo.
Sunday, September 12th, 2010 AT 5:27 PM
MERLIN2021
You are focused on the ABS, but if all ABS fuses are out, and more importantly, the 40amps were not blowing, then it is a different circuit involved. You need to check the other circuits on the fuse, and or pull the fuse box and check the wires on the back side of it.
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
TOM MYER
Since the fuse does not blow for 15 min after the car is started AND AT A IDLE (not moving) and today it went for almost 20 min just sitting there, I cannot see doing what your telling me to do. This problem is definetly heat related. If there was a problem behind the fuse panel, I would think it would blow immediately.
Again can you be more specific as to heat related problems.

If you don't think heat has any thing to with this, why would all be okay until the car gets hot.

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 12:04 PM
MERLIN2021
Whatever circuit is involved, is taking a while to heat sufficiently to cause it to blow. Try unplugging all electrical connectors at the brake module(EBCM). Wait for 20 minutes and see if it blows. If the short is in there, it's possible the fuse protection isn't working. If it blows again, you will need to check other cicuits that are on the 10 fuse.
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 1:10 PM