1996 Mercury Mystique Coolant Pump Problem.

BDG_1980
  • 1996 FORD WINDSTAR
I own a 96 Mercury Mystique, recently the coolant pump was leaking, when we took it to our local garage he replaced the pump with a new one, it lasted a month, he again replaced it with a new pump that lasted about 2 months, once again it was replaced with a new one, which has again started leaking, when we took it back this time the mechanic said he would try to contact ford and see if this is a known problem, the explanation that he gave to us was that the engine was producing a pollutant that destroyed the pump, somehow I get the feeling that he's just saying this to get us to stop bringing the car in to his garage. Am I being messed with or is this a genuine problem with this car, any help would be appreciated.
Thanx
Friday, May 18th, 2007 AT 7:05 PM

BDG_1980
Thanks for the response. The engine is a 2.5 litre, 6 Cylinder, 24 Valve, double overhead cam. As for the pumps, the first was a reconditioned one and the others were new from ford.
Sunday, May 20th, 2007 AT 9:30 PM