2003 Ford Truck Truck has intermitent dead battery & wi

MAIOBR
  • 2003 FORD TRUCK
I have a 2003 Ford F-150 with 4.2L V6.(68,000 miles) It has an electrical problem that started intermittently and now has become constant. Here is the progression over the last several weeks: 1. No Power, Battery was dead after sitting for 1 week. Jump started and ran OK. Few days later battery was dead again. I installed a new battery (the other was 7 years old, original). Vehicle started up and ran OK. One day later vehicle would crank, but would not start.
Intermittently the windshield wipers would not work.
2. Intermittently Vehicle would be dead in morning, but would jump start ok.
3. Found that when key was removed from ignition, the fan motor for the heater would stay running.
I would need to remember to turn off position or it would run the battery dead.
4. Now, when you turn off vehicle and remove the key, gauges (fuel and Battery) turn on and off for 3 - 4 seconds then turn back on. The mileage indicator is lit with. You can hear the ABL (? Brakes) box ticking underneath the hood.
Now it will sometimes start right up with jump start or sometimes crank turn over for a very long time before motor will start. You would never know if it will start after turning off the engine. The theft indicator light is flashing on the dash while you are trying to start it. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Brian Maio
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 10:52 AM

Have you checked the ignition switch?
Monday, October 25th, 2010 AT 7:39 AM