INNER TIE ROD ENDS

1994 Ford Tempo

jbtjx

June, 27, 2008 AT 11:30 AM

Steering problem
1994 Ford Tempo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

Is it possible to replace the inner tie rod ends without removing the steering box? Or do you have to take out the whole steering gear? Thank you

chris2009taylor

November, 13, 2015 AT 3:31 PM

Re: your Steering problem

your question: Is it possible to replace the inner tie rod ends without removing the steering box? Or do you have to take out the whole steering gear? Thank you

Did you ever get an answer to this question?

I am doing a little reading and perhaps you could confirm this information for me; if you did get an answer.
Apparently on ford tempo's before May 1990 you have to take the Rack and Pinion steering unit out. But after that date (which yours is = 1994) you don't need to as the inner tie rod is threaded on and a roll pin stops the tie rod from turning after it has been replaced.
Could you provide any tips on this inner tie rod end replacement. If you can remember, as I don't know if my big hands can get into this small space.

Did you take anything other than the boot off to work on it?

My Tempo is. Vin# 1FABP36X2LK240708 (manufactured July 1990)

Thanks,
Chris

Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe