Weak interior heater temperature

E8USAFNCO
  • FORD TAURUS
92 Taurus GL Wagon, 114K Miles I replaced the leaking water pump last summer, (I'm the original owner). Hooked up hoses to the heater core to ensure coolant was flowing easily (it does) Does not appear to be restricted. Fan works normally, the air flow selector knob seems to work correctly (air is diverted to the various outlets). Don't know if the blend door is moving (can't see it). The car does not overheat (runs very well). Although the thermostat seems to work normally, I wonder if it opens too early, not allowing the coolant to reach a high enough temp? (A/C stopped working years ago)
Wednesday, December 6th, 2006 AT 7:52 PM

BACKYARDMECHANIC
It could be the wrong heat rated thermostat. Has it every been replace? If it is the right one then I suspect it is stuck open. Also is there a heater control valve for your car. Almost all cars have one. It would be in line with one of the heater hoses and would operate either mechanically, electrically or through the use of vacuum> Make sure that this switch is operating before changing the themostat.
Hope this helps Backyardmechanic :)
Thursday, December 7th, 2006 AT 12:06 PM
E8USAFNCO
This type of heating system doesn't utilize any type of valve to control hot water entering the core. It is full hot all of the time. The temp is controlled by a "blend door" within the assembly (inside the car). If the thermostat was indeed stuck open I wouldn't have said the thermostat appears to be working normally (ie: opening and closing at the appropriate temperatures). Anyway. Since it's 14 years old I replaced the thermostat anyway. And it appears to have helped a little, though it's still not as hot as I think it should be.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 5:39 PM
E8USAFNCO
This is ancient history now, but after cutting into the plastic chamber, from below the dash, where the blend door lives. I discovered a pine tree air freshener that had fallen down the vent and was blocking the blend door from opening fully. Once this was removed, the heat worked normally.
Tuesday, July 5th, 2016 AT 5:52 AM