Missing VSS voltage

BROO118
  • FORD TAURUS
1995 Taurus GL 3.8 142k miles. My tranny would work properly about a 1/4 of the time, shifting up or down as speeds required. Replaced VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Old one showed 210 ohms. Wires have continuity back to the wire harness plug. Back tested and found less than a volt, with the engine running. From my info I am supposed to have 6 to 24 volts. How do I get to the computer so I could read the pinouts of the computer? My Haynes book does not show where it is located.
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007 AT 10:05 PM

BHUGG
Let's get to the basics first. Did you check all your fuses. There is a Power distribution Box (PDB) under the hood that contains fuses and relays. Did you check all the fuses?
On my 93 explorer, It is fuse #4 in the PDB and it is also fed thru the PCM power relay also in the PDB. My schmetic for my ranger sayes that the VSS should be 200 - 300 ohms.
If the fuses check out, try to switch out the relay with another one that is the same size and type.
I have had several relays go bad in my Ford.

Check that out and let the forum know what happens.

If you like our comments, give us a vote.
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 12:51 AM
JACK42
The link "find a manual for your car" bottom of main forum page is to Mitchell-On-Demand, all info you seek is in there, wiring diagrams, everything
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 7:56 AM
BROO118
All fuses under the hood and dash are good. This an itermittant problem like a bad connection or solder joint on the computer PCB. The tranny works properly 1/4 of the time. If I start out and it is not working properly, I can pull over, and shut down. I will restart put it in gear, and it just might work fine. The schematic that I have says that across pins 3 and 6 of the computer board, one should read between 6 to 24v. I have.7v on that line going to the VSS. I dont know where that board is, does anyone know?
Sunday, March 4th, 2007 AT 4:51 PM