MISFIRE

Ford Taurus

rmdickison

July, 21, 2007 AT 6:43 PM

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with the 24v DOHC engine. It has 178,000 miles on it. When driving the car it often cuts out, like the engine is having a misfire. It is usually when the engine is at a slower RPM and under a load, like when I begin up a hill, but have not downshifted to increase the RPMs. The problem acts like what happens when spark plug wires are bad, and are shorting out against each other. However, my car does not have spark plug wires, instead has individual coils above each spark plug. I just changed the spark plugs about 10,000 miles ago, and later put new gaskets on the intake manifold, because I was having an idling problem. It has been since then that this problem started. I have checked all vacuum hoses, and have replaced the EGR valve, pressure sensor, and vacuum solenoid. My guess is that there is a problem with one of the coils possibly, but have no idea how to check them or further diagnose the problem.

kin chan

July, 21, 2007 AT 9:31 PM

2000 ford cars OBD2. Will catch a misfire and difinitely will store a code mostly likely chk engine lite on. Possible but not probable