How to charge A/C

CRAIG15052
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
Where is the A/C low pressure [fill port] connection on a 2000 Taurus 3.0, six cylinder engine?
Thanks, Craig
Saturday, October 6th, 2007 AT 2:43 PM

BOOTDOG
Follow the lines from the A/C compressor. The fatter solid line is the low side and the thinner one is the high side. You should see the port within the line. If not look on the receiver dryer for the low side port.
Saturday, October 6th, 2007 AT 10:48 PM
CRW1950
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
I cannot find the recharge port for the air conditioning. Could you please advise where is the refill port located for the air conditioner recharge? I find a large port standing near the windshield washer reservoir but it is too large. Where is the recharge port?
Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 AT 6:38 PM (Merged)
Sometimes the Low-Side port can be hard to locate.The low side are the larger of the two lines for the A/C system. Please see the attached diagrams and video to help you locate the service port. I have also attached a guide to help you charge the A/C once you locate the correct service port.

https://youtu.be/ON2dYcmXIAw

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please check out the attached videos, guides and diagrams, let us know what you find.
-1
CEDRICACKER
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic.

Hello, I posted a while back for the same issue on my 1996 Ford and we found the issue and repaired it. Thanks again. Well, I have the same issue with my 2001 Ford the compressor will not engage while I am trying to charge the system and my fans run constantly when I am charging the system. On my 1996 Ford I think it was the ECT sensor that was the issue. I am thinking I may be having the same problem with this one. My issue is where is the ect sensor located on a 2001 Ford Taurus? I tried to jump the cycling switch and nothing happened.

Thanks again.
The engine coolant temperature sensor is on the rear of engine block near the thermostat.

On many systems, the compressor will not turn on if the refrigerant is low because the "low pressure safety switch" prevents the compressor clutch from engaging if system pressure is low. This protects the compressor from possible damage caused by a lack of lubrication.

One of the first things you should check, therefore, is compressor engagement. If the compressors magnetic clutch is not engaging when the A/C is turned on, the problem may be a blown fuse or a wiring problem. If the fuse is blown, replacing it may restore cooling temporarily. But the underlying reason for the fuse blowing in the first place needs to be identified and corrected to prevent the same thing from happening again.

If the magnetic clutch is receiving voltage but is not engaging the compressor, the clutch is defective and needs to be replaced. If there is any evidence of leakage around the compressor shaft seal, the seal should also be replaced.

If the clutch works but fails to turn the compressor (the belt may squeal in protest!), The compressor has seized and needs to be replaced.

Compressor failures are usually the result of loss of lubrication, which in turn may be due to low refrigerant in the system, a blockage (such as a plugged orifice tube which prevents refrigerant and oil from circulating to the compressor), loss of lubricant due to leaks or improper service procedures (not adding oil to the system to compensate for oil lost through leakage or component replacement), or use of the wrong type of lubricant.

R-12 systems require mineral oil while R-134a systems require various types of PAG oil or POE oil. Using mineral oil in a newer R-134a system can cause serious lubrication problems as can using the wrong grade (viscosity) of PAG oil. Always follow the vehicle or lubricant manufacturers compressor oil recommendations.

The next thing you should check when troubleshooting a no cooling problem is system pressure. For this, you need a set of A/C service gauges. Attach your service gauges to the high and low service fittings. If both the high and low side pressure gauges read low, the system is low and needs recharging. But before any refrigerant is added, check for leaks to find out where the refrigerant is going.
CEDRICACKER
Hello, it is me again.

When the car has sat for a while and I turn on the AC the air blows cold as ice for about five to ten minutes then the compressor shuts off and it blows hot. I have power to the cycling switch when this happens. I also have power to the shut off switch. I am lost. Any help please. Thanks
An A/C system that blows cold air for awhile then warm air is probably freezing up. This can be caused by air and moisture in the system that allows ice to form and block the orifice tube.

Evacuating the system with a vacuum pump will purge it of unwanted air and moisture. Evacuation should be done with a vacuum pump that is capable of achieving and holding a high vacuum (29 inches) for at least 30 to 45 minutes.

For best performance, an A/C system should contain less than 2% air by weight. For every 1% increase in the amount of air that displaces refrigerant in the system, there will be a corresponding drop of about one degree in cooling performance. More than 6% air can cause a very noticeable drop in cooling performance, and possibly cause evaporator freeze-up.

Air can get inside a system through leaks, by not evacuating the system prior to recharging it, and/or by recharging the system with refrigerant that is contaminated with air. Recovery equipment can suck air into the recycling tank if an A/C system contains air or if the system has a leak. For this reason, the refrigerant recovery tank on recycling equipment must be checked and purged daily. On some equipment, this is done automatically. But on equipment that lacks an automatic purge cycle, tank pressure and temperature has to be measured and compared to a static pressure reference chart.

Some refrigerant identifier equipment can detect air in the system as well as other contaminants. An identifier should be used to check the refrigerant before the system is serviced to prevent cross-contamination of recovery and recycling equipment.

Possible causes of intermittent cooling in a manual A/C system that might be caused by an electrical problem include:

Faulty low pressure cutout switch. This switch prevents the compressor from running if the refrigerant level is low. If the cutout switch is not reading correctly, it can prevent the compressor from coming on.

Faulty compressor clutch. The magnetic clutch on the compressor requires full battery voltage to engage. If the voltage to the clutch is low, or the clutch coils have too much resistance, or the air gap in the clutch is too great, the clutch may not engage to drive the compressor.

Faulty compressor clutch relay. Check to see if the relay is receiving voltage when the A/C is turned on. Also check the relay wiring and ground connections. If bypassing the relay with a jumper wire or routing battery voltage directly to the compressor clutch makes the A/C work, the relay is probably bad.

Faulty A/C control switch. The switch may be worn and not making good contact when it is turned on.

Some possible causes of intermittent cooling (or no cooling) on automatic A/C systems include all of the above, plus:

A problem in the control module or control head (this usually requires using a dealer scan tool to read fault codes and perform self-diagnostics).

A bad temperature sensor (an ambient air temperature sensor, interior air temperature sensor, evaporator temperature sensor, or sunload sensor). Again, a factory scan tool is usually required to perform diagnostics on the system.
HOWNOW111
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
How do you charge A/C using unit from discount store with only one hose?
KX250ING
You only use one port to charge the AC in your automobile. It is called the low side and will have a black or blue cap marked with an L on it. Never charge it on the high side as damage or injury will result. If you cannot find the low side I would have someone who does car AC repair to do the work.
+2
ALINAJAFI
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
2001 Taurus SES 72,000 miles.

The A/C works fine at first. But, when outside temperature is hot, it quits cooling after ten to twenty minutes. I have already spent hundreds of dollars to recharge the gas, to change the pressure cycling switch, to find out low and high pressures are okay, to find out there was a leak (was there ever?) And to recharge the gas again. I am a little thinner now, not on waistline, but on wallet line! When my mechanic wanted to rip me off of $700.00 more for changing the clutch, field and pulley, I thought, yeah right! Next thing you know, they are going to tell me I need a better haircut too! I am bald! I do not need a haircut.

I found two honest mechanics after that. One showed me the clutch was not engaging but also said that since the A/C cools well in the beginning, it has been engaging at first and thus the clutch is fine. But they did not know what the problem was.

Would appreciate any insight. Thanks.
ALINAJAFI
Thank you so much for the advice. I will give that a try. Will come back when I tried it out.

Thanks again.
ALINAJAFI
I tried it out but it did not work. Although I did not make the tool, the mechanic washed the fins with high pressure water, and used his air gun to dry it.

Per your advice, since water was used, I asked him to blow more air to make sure the fins have actually dried.

Although I noticed A/C was able to blow much cooler air in the beginning, the problem recurred; the A/C stopped working and did not cool unless I switch off the engine and let it cool down.

Would appreciate any further adivce. Thanks.