Heater not working

DENNIS7
  • FORD TAURUS
I own a 99 Ford Taurus w/ 88K miles. The heater blows cool air only. The fan works. I replaced the cooling system thermostat which was not opening. The cooling system is working fine now, but with the heater switch on red (heat) and the fan on, I only get cold air. Any ideas on what to check or how to fix this? I have checked fuses and all are OK. Thanks.
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 8:58 AM

BRUCE HUNT
I would make sure that the system has all of the air out of it. The cooling system that is. Then I would grab that hose from the thermostat housing to see if it is hot. This is the small one that goes to the heater. If it is hot follow it and determine where it ceases to be hot. Something is not opening and that something is a damper or a valve on the heater or plenum.
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 9:35 AM
DENNIS7
I agree, something is not opening. I took your advise. I checked the inbound hose from the engine and the outbound hose from the engine where they go through the firewall. Both are hot after the engine has been running awhile. However I am suspicious of some electronic gadget that has wires on it at one of the outlets on the engine where the heater hose clamps on. I do not understand eactly why both the inlet and outlet hoses would be hot and no heated water would be going thru the heater core.? Any further ideas?
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 6:04 PM
BRUCE HUNT
The heater core is getting hot. The heater core is in a plenum or box. That is probably as hot as heck inside but the flap that opens the plenum is controlled by either a motor or a cable or even a vacuum line to open it. It appears that it is not opening.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 12:06 AM
DENNIS7
The blower works fine, but the air that comes through the vents is cool. The A/C works, but when I turn the heat control knob to the "red" side, it does not get hot. It is maybe room temp. At best. So it appears that the hot water may be going through the core, but the blower is not blowing through the core or plenum. Seems weird that I would get air, but not warm. I must admit, I do not understand exactly how the Taurus HVAC is designed. Mybe I should try to go buy a shop manual. I am going out of town for a few days and won't be able to trouble shoot this for a while. Thanks for you advise and help. I check back in later. Marry Xmas.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 8:19 AM
SERVICE WRITER
If the volume is strong but cold, and the heater hose are hot, I would also think a possible door stuck in the closed position. If the volume is weak and cold, I would suspect a plugged cabin air filter. Keep this posted on solution.
Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 8:32 PM
ROGER MILLER
I have ran into a problem with Ford trucks and heater malfunctions, the control dial that changes the temp. From cool to hot loses it's grip on the stem it's pressed onto then it won't change the temp. When you move the dial. Try removing the dial control (it just pulls off) and rotate the stem toward the full "hot" side of the setting, you may have to use pliers they turn hard, if you have heat now a new dial will fix you right up. I hope I was some help
Friday, December 29th, 2006 AT 8:13 PM