Catalytic Converters

• 1 POST

2000 Ford Taurus Sho. 134,000 miles V6. Took car in to a local licensed mechanic that has worked on my cars in the past. Engine was bogging down and mis firing. He called and said it was the catalytic converter, gave me a price of $600 (including labor) to replace it. After he replaced the converter and started the car it was still mis firing, he ended up having to replace 2 ignition coils also and cleared the codes. 4 days later the car is having the same problem that it was took in for. Called the mechanic, took the car back in and he says he wants over $1000 to fix it again because two other cat converter have went out. Took the car to another local licensed mechanic to get a second opinion. This mechanic said it was the catalytic converters and asked if the coils were replaced before he fired up the car with the new converter on it. When I told him no he did not, he informed me that by him not replacing the coils first he fried the other two converters. My question is can this be the reason the other two converters went out 4 days later?

Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 5:34 PM

I think the second two converters were probably on the fringe of going bad already. Perhaps the little extra push after the first was replaced was all it took. If the coils wer caught at the same time as the first converter replacement, it may not have enven mattered. The damage was probably done all the while the coils were bad to begin with, prior to the first cat replacement.

Monday, September 17th, 2007 AT 7:33 PM