'97 Taurus GL 134k miles - gears not engaging properly

PC
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
Initially this week reverse was difficult to engage. It would after pressing on the accelerator a few times. Now it is even harder to get to work. Additionally, coming to a stop then pressing on accelerator while drive
the car does not always engage the gears properly. Seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. Any thoughts?
Tuesday, January 17th, 2006 AT 2:38 PM

MULEA
Hi!
I just wanted to let you know I have almost the same problem on my 1997 Taurus Wagon:
-> "Hi, people!
Here's my problem with the car:
I have a Ford Taurus Wagon 1997, mileage 147.000; the engine works fine and it seems the former owner of this car took care of it. I've bought it a month ago and after I took a longer trip ( 30 kilometers to go, the same distance on return) I discovered a strange thing with the transmission. Much exactely, on the way to go, car worked and acted perfect; but after I reached the destination point of my ride, I turned off the engine for about 5 minutes.
Soon after I restarted it, on the way back home I realized that the automatic transmission wouldn't swich in a superior gear. Even I pushed up the acceleration pedal (and the revolutions reached. 4.000 rpm!), Didn't swich on. Obviously, the engine worked fine and had power, but didn't matter how much I've tried to, the car went only 40 km/hour no matter how many revolutions per minute had the engine.

My mechanic checked it with OBD2, and said were no error code! "Just in case, I will replace de hoses from the transmission", he said. And that's what he did.

But yesterday, I noticed the same problem. That time, was not a long distance trip, but a ride under pressure thru town. Meaning I speeded it up when the lights were green, to reach in time my destination.

Does ANYONE knows what's about? Any advice will be VERY HELPFULLY!

Thank you in advance!".

Maybe someone will give us a clue. Good luck!

Mulea
Friday, January 20th, 2006 AT 6:48 PM