94 Taurus Wagon heater

ROSS K
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
It takes along time for the heat to come out of my car. Symptoms are:
1. Heat comes out less at a complete stop if at all.
2. Heat comes out more when car is moving.
3. Takes about 20 mins for heat to even start to come out.
4. Heat gauge goes up and down.

I have replace the raditator about 1 1/2 years ago and the thermostat about 5 years ago.
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 AT 11:30 AM

MIC_MASON
Try the heater core, it could be clogged, it sits inbetween the bottom of the driving council. They look like mini radiators, plus if it is this then your vehicle could overheat and warp the block, which is not good.

This would explaine the fluctuation in heat gauge.

Cheap fix. Buy a radiator flush kit they are like $6 at a parts store, and get new antifreeze.

You drain the radiator from the bleeder at the bottom, it usually looks like a wingnut.

Then drain the fluid out and dispose of appropriately.

After it dies down you will pour water flushing the system of the radiator and engine. Flush till it is only water coming out(close drain). Run engine for 5 mins. The drain and flush again. Now add flush cleaner and refill system (shut the drain). Run the engine for recommended amount usually 15 mins. Then drain adn flush till clear. Refill the system with antifreeze.

This should help. If not change the heater core. THen I would be out of regular ideas.
+1
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 AT 2:28 PM
EO_WICCANANGEL
I m having a similar problem with my 01 taurus only my heater blows cold air all the time and my car acts like it is going to over heat then comes down a bit then back up again.
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 AT 10:01 PM