LINKAGE

2004 Ford Taurus

lwright

December, 31, 2008 AT 7:02 PM

2004 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72543 miles

The linkage pin busted on my transmission and I just want to know what to expect. What has to be done, and can you give me a ballpark price? Thanks, Linda

P.S. I would gladly donate to you all if I could.I live on a small monthly check and now with my transmission problem, I am really in a bind. Besides the fact now I have to hire someone to take me where I need to go.

jgarofalo

January, 1, 2009 AT 4:02 AM

I would need more information to answer your question intelligently. There are quite a few parts in and related to the transmission linkage. There are pins in the shifter, on the outside of the transmission, and inside the transmission as well.

I have been rbuilding transmissions for about 40 years, and I may have the part you need sitting in a box of spare parts.

What I would need to know is where the part is broken. At the shifter? Column shift or floor shift?

From your description, I can only guess that you are unable to move the shift linkage to drive the car.

lwright

January, 1, 2009 AT 11:16 AM

Thank you for answering me so quickly. Yes you are right. As soon as I got in the car and pulled the gear shift down, I could tell there was something wrong with the linkage.I had a guy to come look at it and he told me it was broken going from the transmission to the (I think) steering box. Anyway when he raised the hood and got down and look at it you could see it from there.I am a female and do not know the proper words to explain to you exactly like I should. He is telling me I am going to have to replace the whole transmission. He said it will probably cost me around 1200 dollars.I am a little old woman that lives on a monthly check and needless to say, I was devastated.I will try to take a picture and send it if you think that will help. Thanks again, Linda

jgarofalo

From the description, it sounds like the lever that attaches to the top of the transmission linkage has broken off. This linkage rod goes all of the way to the bottom of the transmission, and requires removal of the transmission to replace. HOWEVER.

In the past, I have actually drilled into the shaft, and threaded the hole, and installed a stud into it to replace the broken end. All of this without removing the transmission. It is a bit tricky, and the hole has to be straight for this fix to work. This is not a recommended fix, but when times are tough, it gets things going for a while.

If you live anywhere in the area of southeastern PA, I could get you going again. I understand the situation you are in.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions