2003 Ford Taurus transmission not working at all

RIYAD614
  • 2003 FORD TAURUS
03 Taurus, 145000 miles. Car was parked for a bout 5 month, it start just fine but the transmission dose not do nothing at all. I checked the fluid and it was over filled which I don't know why. I drained and changed the fluid, and it took about 4 qts only (I drained about 9 to 10 qt). Still nothing. I checked the shifter from top and inside the tranee and it is moving fine. Took the side pan off and the shiter is moving good in all gears. Break light is on and abs also. The new fluid level is the same with the car runing or not. Please help
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 9:10 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi riyad614,

Thank you for the donation.

There are many possibilities for it to occur and I would suggest getting the PCM scanned to retirieve for trouble codes.

Was transmission in working order when it was parked?

Transmission are known to fail after sitting for extended periods. Once you can get it moving, it might work.

Did you try shifting through all gear ranges?
Did you allow the transmission fluids to be warmed up to operating temperature before retesting if it works?
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 9:51 AM
RIYAD614
Scanned it, no codes, it was working before it was parked, I checked the pump inside the side pan and looked fine. Could the filter cause the problem?I did try to shift through all gears but got nothing at all. I didn't wait until it warmed up but will try that next.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:00 PM
KHLOW2008
Unless the filter is badly clogged, if not it shouldn't be the cause.

A failed pump or internal hydraulic pressure loss would be the more likely cause.
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:09 PM
RIYAD614
I'm thinking the pump too, cause I let the engine warmup and the transmission fluid still cold. Is there anything I can do to jump start the pump?
Wednesday, November 10th, 2010 AT 1:30 PM
KHLOW2008
If the pump is bad, there is no way of jump starting it. Even if you can, the trans is not going to work correctly as there would be insufficient pressure.

A line pressure test would confirm if that is the cause.
Thursday, November 11th, 2010 AT 6:13 AM