2002 mass air flow sensor?

• 1 POST
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS

I have a 2002 ford taurus with the 3.0 dohc engine and 60000 miles, and recently I got a check engine light with codes of P0172 and P0175, meaning that the engine is running to rich. Could this be a sensor problem or is it something with the fuel system?

Friday, July 13th, 2007 AT 10:21 AM

• 74 POSTS

The PCM (computer) is like a weatherman. It's right 50% of the time.

I would start with the basics - pretend you're working on a '57 Chevy or something - no computer.
1. Check for vacuum leaks.
2. Check for any other obvious (or not-so-obvious) problems, no matter how small or insignificant.

Now, we look at cause and effect. If you have any actual symptoms, make a note of the symptoms and driving conditions. For instance, are there any funny noises, smells, etc? If there are no actual symptoms, then you can start to look at why you're running too rich.
Are you idling too high? If so, then it could be the idle air control valve. However, if you're idling around 700 RPM, then that's probably not the cause.

The oxygen sensors set their own specific codes when they go bad, so unless there are other codes, I would not worry about them.

The mass airflow sensor is a possible cause, because if it goes bad, it could cause the computer to think there's not too much air, thereby richening the mix.

If these don't do it, then you could take it to the dealer and just run a diagnostic, no repairs, since the car is drivable. They'll charge about $100 to give you the answer, then you decide whether you can do it or not.
Good luck.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 AT 7:41 AM