2002 Ford Taurus Transmission light

MIKECORIY
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I have a 2002 Taurus, V6, 144000 miles. I've never had any transmission problems, no slipping, reeving etc. Today, just 30 feet from my drive way the Transmission light came on and the car went into "safe or limp" mode. One gear forward, and reverse. Fluid was low, but there, added more with no improvement. I had Auto Zone hook up tester and was told 10 or more transmission errors, all different kinds. I'm sorry I don't have them to post. My question is do you think this is an actual failure of the tranny or something electrical? I find it hard to believe it would fail all at once like that with no symptoms. Any help would be appreciated.
Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 7:50 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Well let's back track. When was the last time that you KNEW the fluid level was correct?

How many times and at what mileage has the flilter and fluid been changed for the transmission?
Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 8:19 PM
MIKECORIY
I checked the fluid about a month ago when I changed the oil, filter and air filter. I check it anytime I have the hood open. I've had the car for about 15 months and put on 24000 in that time. I bought it from a lot my cousin is part owner from and he checked it out for me. I haven't changed the fluid or filter since I got the car. It was purchased at auction a week before I bought it. Again, no hint of any transmission problems until today. The Check engine lite had come on and I was going to get that fixed. About 2 weeks before. Auto Zone read that code as O2 sensors.
Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 9:21 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Failures do not always give indications ahead of time and can happen abruptly.

I need the code numbers for transmission.

HArd to say if it is electronic or mechanical.

If the fluid was low it could have done mechanical damage. IF the filter has never been changed, there may be a restriction in flow.

Some common issues are mechanical. A broken pump shaft or stripped splines in the convertor for the pump drive. But these leave the transmission not working at all.
Sunday, May 31st, 2009 AT 6:20 AM