2002 Ford Taurus SES 67,000 miles

KOCHANHS
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I went to Midas last Saturday and had my front brakes and rotors replaced which cost me $231 even. However, when I step on the brakes it is hard for me to come to a complete stop without putting a lot of pressure and this gives me leg cramps. I used to step on the brakes without any effort and come to a complete stop with no trouble. Also, I get this spongy feeling when I press hard on the brakes to try to come to a complete stop.

Is this normal for new brakes and rotors for a while? I really hope so.

Thanks in advance.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 10:09 AM

BRUCE HUNT
No, its is not. You ask a number of questions of the forum but I am sure your comfort level on repairs. Check the brake fluid level. Then using a second person crack open the bleeders at the brakes and check the entire system for air. I assume that the brake pedal does not slowly go to the floor?

Another option is to go back to Midas and comlain.
Wednesday, December 13th, 2006 AT 12:44 PM
KOCHANHS
Bruce,
I don't know anything about cars and that is why I am asking a lot of questions on the forum. I am just a female who does not like to get ripped off and if asking questions and doing research will help with that, I will continue to do so. I get really scared when I take my car into to get looked at and/or repaired. I just want to be informed.

Thanks.
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 8:15 AM
BRUCE HUNT
That is an admireable thing to do. I have taught my kids a lot about cars and they do much work themselves. If they have to go to a mechanic I want them to be prepared to ask intelligent questions and to be able to know when something is wrong with the anwers they get from the mechanic. They can always call me. I do their tougher stuff but they are savy. Preventative is the best way to go. Educate yourself, this forum can serve as a good place to start. Good luck!
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 9:44 AM
KOCHANHS
Thanks Bruce. I will keep asking questions until I am confident. Of course, there is always more to learn.

I will keep nagging Midas since I paid good money for the brake/rotors services.

Thanks again.
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 11:20 AM