2002 Ford Taurus SES

KOCHANHS
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I called a repair shop and a dealership about my car. It is making squeaking/chirping noise. I have replaced the idler pulley and the serpentine belt at Midas, but the problem did not go away.

The repair shop and the dealership is going to charge me $95 to hook the car up to the diagnostic machine.

Do I need my car to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine? Also, when do I need the car to be hooked up? I thought it was only when any electrical problems arise.

thanks. :Wink:
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 12:01 PM

BRUCE HUNT
I doubt a diagnostic hookup will pinpoint the problem. I am suprised that at Midas when you probably told them the problem was the chirping noise, which sounds like a bearing going out, did not note that the work they did was not successful in resolving the problem.

I offer the following suggestions and this is assuming that the noise is always there:

You can remove the serpintine belt and start the car. Note if the sound has dissappeared. Now you have nailed it down to A/C, alternator, or power steering. With the belt still off try turning the pulleys by hand. Note if one of them seems to be a little tight and possibly has a little bit of drag to it. You might even hear a slight noise as you turn the pulley.

If one clearly indicates it is the problem, replace the device, otherwise, reconnect the belt and drive the car. Keep your eyes and ears open for any increase in sounds or other problems. The problem will probably esculate slowly until the chirper is found.

I hope this helps. Lived in Des Moines for a couple of years, some very nice people. Worked at Iowa Methodist Medical Center and the Blank Hospital.
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 1:06 PM
KOCHANHS
Thanks. I will try that and see what happens. I have gone back to Midas 3 times now and have said the same the problem still exists. Their answer is 'we are not sure of the location of the noise and we need to tear into the engine for at least 4 hrs'. I am afraid if they do this, they will cause me more problems. By the way, I tried getting my money back and no success. They told me I needed to replaced those items anyways. I was thinking to myself what a bunch of BS.

Yes, I know where Iowa Methodist Medical Center and the Blank Hospital is located at. I live on the opposite side of town, but still go to that area for dining out.

Thanks,
Kong
Thursday, December 14th, 2006 AT 1:16 PM
KOCHANHS
I went to a trusted Ford Dealership (Quality Ford) and they fixed the problem! My car still had powertrain warranty until 75,000 miles and it only cost me $100 for everything (parts/labor, etc). I only had to pay the deductible since I had the warranty.

It turned out to be a bad cam synchronizer.
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 11:21 AM
LAYCIE
I was trying to give you information on this yesterday but it said invaild password. Anyhow I had the same problem With my car and I was trying to tell you about it. I'm glad you car is fixed now and running great!
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 3:48 PM
KOCHANHS
Laycie,
Thanks. I regret the day that I bought a Ford 2 years ago. From now on, I am sticking to Chevrolet, Nissan or Toyota.

Thanks again.
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 3:51 PM