2002 Ford Taurus Problems starting.

BRYANK94
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
This problem intially started after the car struck on dog on the front right corner. After the initial impact my wife pulled over and shut the car off. Afterwards, she tried to start the car and it would not start. 15 minutes later it started with no problems, but over the last two weeks this problem persisted, starting and then not starting. One day She had filled up with gas and it would not start for 30 minutes at a gas station. Another day it would not start and we had to wait til the next morning for it to start( the car had an 1/8th of tank of gas at the time). We took it to an parts store and had the OBD II codes checked, no problems there. But once again the car would not start. The battery checked good and at no time had the fuel inertia switch ever activate. My questions are the following,
Is it the fuel pump, starter, or fuel pressure? If it is the fuel pressure, how do I fix the fuel pressure?
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 1:24 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Is the engine is turning over.
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 2:19 PM
BRYANK94
The engine will turn over and run as any other day when I start it for the first time. No problems occur while driving either. After the vehicle is shut off and we try to restart it nothing happens apart from the electronics turnning on. It will not crank over nor do I hear the starter engage. No sounds whatsoever.
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 2:35 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
You are going to have to do some testing the next time it isn't working to find where the problem is.

Things it could be

starter solenoid
starter relay
park/neutral safety switch
ignition switch

i suggest we start with testing the solenoid.

While the engine is cool. Find your starter and notice the solenoid on it.
There will be the big battery cable going to it, and Then a smaller wire that energizes the solenoid.

Use a test light and probe that small wire,
have someone crank the engine over and you'll see the light come on.

Now you know where everything is and what the test light should do when everything is working.

We need to know if the test light comes on when the engine doesn't turn over.
Monday, January 12th, 2009 AT 3:02 PM
JON FRUETEL
I have the same car, same problem. Dealer told me it's my starter, too many amps. I've very skeptical that this is a correct diagnosis.
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 9:09 AM