2001 Ford Taurus Rubbing Noise when turning steering wheel

REIDMAC
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
When I rotate the steering wheel of my Taurus to make a turn there is rubbing noise that seems to come from the steering column area. The noise is not continuous but happens several times as the wheel is turned. I bought the car recently and had it inspected. Nothing was said about having any front end problems. Could this rubbing noise be something in the steering wheel or column?

Saturday, September 6th, 2008 AT 8:55 PM

RICH509
I bought my 2001 Taurus 2 years ago from a Ford dealer budget lot. Had the same problem. Took it to Ford garage they said it was probable in the front end and would cost about $300. Took it back to the lot and the lot manager had the lot man lubricate the steering column where it goes thought the floor and it stopped. He said every Ford mechanic knows this. Didn't see exactly where he did it. But hasn't come back.
+2
Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 4:36 PM