2001 Ford Taurus rough idling

MARYANN.HAHN
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Was driving slowly through residential area, car started acting like it wanted to stall. After increasing speed it stopped doing that. Next day engine light came on and it occassionally will idle roughly when sitting at a stop light or driving very slowly. I am a single woman and don't want to get jerked around at the dealership so can you give me an idea of what could be wrong before I go in there? How do you check codes in a car? There use to be a way on turning the ignition three times and a light would flash several times for whatever code was wrong.
Wednesday, May 28th, 2008 AT 7:23 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Take your car to autozone and have them scan the car for codes. They do it for free. Get back to us with the codes. You most likely just need a tune up. If you get a code po 300-306 then for sure you need a tune up. Get back to us
Wednesday, May 28th, 2008 AT 7:28 PM
MARYANN.HAHN
I went to Auto Zone and they hooked up a small device and told me my car was running "lean" I tried to question the young man but he told me it could be several different sensors and that I should take it to the shop. I asked if it could mean it needs a tune up and he said it could but I shouldn't try anything until I took it to the shop and got official codes.
Thursday, May 29th, 2008 AT 5:54 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Ok this is probably going to be alot easier that a tune up. These engines get vacuum leaks and run lean because the pcv valve vacuum hose gets deteriorated and leaks causing your symptom. This is a very easy and inexpensive repair.
Friday, May 30th, 2008 AT 6:55 AM
MARYANN.HAHN
YOU ARE AWESOME! We looked at the PCV hose and found cracks in the elbow. Once that was fixed all was good. Thank-you so much. This could have easily caused me money I didn't have if I had to take it to the dealer. Thank-you again!
Monday, June 2nd, 2008 AT 12:14 PM
IRCMATE
I am having the same issue as this lady but I cannot find any place to purchase the rubber hose or the 90 degree rubber hose part. Can someone please direct me to a place online?

Thanks.
Sunday, June 15th, 2008 AT 4:01 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Go to any parts store and purchase 1 foor of 3/8 rubber fuel line and make a real wide bend. Who cares if it looks goofy, it will work.
Sunday, June 15th, 2008 AT 4:19 PM