2001 Ford Taurus Rough idle and air conditioning runs rando

• 1 POST
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 249000 miles

I have two symptoms. An intermittent rough idle and air vents that blow cold air even when the AC is off and the fan only is on. Ice cold air even when it is warm outside. Both problems come and go at random but are persistent. The AC also works only intermittently when the AC is turned on. I understand there is a vacuum hose involved controlling the AC that could both effect the idle and ac performance.
About a year ago I had the exact same problem. The dealer replaced a vacuum hose that they said had collapsed. The paperwork says "Engine EMM tube" replaced $100. Now the same thing is happening. I want to check the vacuum hose myself to see if it is bad or has simply come loose but do not know what I am looking for.
Can you narrow it down to a hose or two that would cause these exact symptoms and guide me where to find them and what to look for?
I originally got a code from the car that the DPFE EGR sensor was bad so I replaced it and it had no effect.I then got a misfire on cyl 3 error but I think they are all linked to this vacuum hose condition. Any clues on where these related hoses are located to check for collapse?

Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 AT 3:32 PM

What performance issue were you having with the a/c when they replaced the "EMM hose"? The only thing vacuum has to do with a/c is vent controls. If that hose is the issue it is located where the a/c lines come though the firewall and it attaches to manifold vacuum. If you are getting a cylinder misfire code, when was it tuned up last? At 249k it could have something wrong other than a vacuum line.

Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 8:34 AM