2001 Ford Taurus My Engine Light Flashing

TXTURTLELYTIGER
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
Shakes or Wobbles problem
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic 148159 miles

ok, earlier today I drove during rainy weather and as I was down the road from my first destination my car started to sputter really badly (usually its only a little sputter during rainy weather) But its a really strong, hard sputter and then my engine light went on then started to flash! I got really worried so I called my dad. He claims that always happens especually with my car since it doesnt like 'water', but when it would rain the light wouldnt come on at all and flash? My dad said to not worry about it becauseits typical, but I think he is wrong, my owners manual says that if my engine light is on and flashing then its a major problem - like the engine backfiring- what should I do? Should I be worried? When I got home I opened the hood and didnt see or smell anything. I was also thinking about driving to autozone to have it read-codes- my car wouldnt go over 30mph even on a highway or a busy street.I had to drive with my emergency lights flashing to warn others that my car might die on me.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 10:47 AM

WRENCHTECH
They don't put flashing reds lights in cars for minor things. Yes, you should go to AZ and get the codes read. The flashing part of this means that the engine is misfiring badly enough to ruin the Catalytic Converter and should never be driven that way. The moisture is effecting something in the ignition system ad it needs to be diagnosed properly. The codes will at least tell you which cylinders are having the problem.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 10:59 AM
TXTURTLELYTIGER
I dotn want to drive my car until it drys off and stops raining- I dotn want to overheat my catalyc converter causing meltdown. Im pretty sure that a 'misfiring' code will result at AZ. Also I forgot to state this earlier that when I had my car parked and I started it, the engine light didnt come on, until I drove down the street in the rain then it came on and then started to flash again.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 11:21 AM
WRENCHTECH
The code should be a cylinder specific misfire code so you will know where to look for your problem.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 11:30 AM
TXTURTLELYTIGER
Is there something I can use to keep my car from becoming sensitive to water? Thx
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 11:59 AM
WRENCHTECH
It's not just a sensitive car. There are component/components that are absorbing the moist and causing it to short out. This component has to be found and replaced. The plugs, wires, or coils are the most likely suspects.
Tuesday, September 7th, 2010 AT 12:04 PM
TXTURTLELYTIGER
Thanks, I figured that there is something exposed. Anything, like sensors, electrical wires I can protect with the special tape right? Thx
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM
WRENCHTECH
No, the parts aren't supposed to absorb moisture like that. They may even be cracked. You just need to replace the parts that are absorbing moisture
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 3:41 PM
TXTURTLELYTIGER
I know, afterwards I can protect the wires by covering them with the special (eletrical ) Tape?
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM
WRENCHTECH
NO, you can not!
You just replace the parts and the problem goes away. Non-defective parts do not have this problem. Tape won't help a thing and likely will make it much worse.
Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 8:17 PM