EGR VALVE/VACUUM HOSE??

2001 Ford Taurus

Richard52534

February, 27, 2009 AT 9:36 AM

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

There seems to be a slight problem with my vacuum hose leading to the egr valve? I'm not fluent in mechanical terminology, but every time I start the vehicle, it sounds weak, and the hose keeps popping off. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago to where my car would actually not start, however, I just popped the hose back on and it worked fine. Im located in arizona, and I believe that the weather changes might be screwing with the shape of the hose. Would this affect the way my car would start or even run? Is it a hose problem or an egr problem? I appreciate your help.

Egr Valve

Jacobandnickolas

February, 27, 2009 AT 9:59 PM

Hi: the hose is providing vacuum to the EGR. When the engine is running, remove the hose and see if there is pressure coming from the EGR. There shouldn't be. If there is, replace it. Also, to answer your question about the hose, yes it can cause a poor idle. Take the hose off and take it to the local parts store and get a new one and replace it.

Let me know what you find.