2001 Ford Taurus check engine light

JOHNDBEAM
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
The light stays on mostly but sometimes it will go off for a couple day, then here is the symptom that causes it to come back on.
when idleing at a traffic light or in park for just less than a minute, the engine will begin idleing rough, but not what you would call severe and the engine light flashes. Upon accelaration, it moves with a bit of skipping, then at less than a 100 yds or so down the road it clears completely and the check light stops flashing. And there are times that is wont do this at all, but most times it does. I have found that if I place in nuetral, and accel the engine to around 1000 to 1100 rpm, the engine will not skip. But if it idles at normal, most times than not it will begin to rough idle. Thank you
Friday, February 1st, 2008 AT 9:10 AM

FLEXY5
You need to take it somewhere and have the codes checked. They will be stored in the memory, even if the light is not currently on. Do not buy any parts. Just post back the codes and we will go from there. There are several things that can cause this, but we need to be sure before we just start throwing parts at it--unneccessary time and expense. 8)
Dave
+1
Friday, February 1st, 2008 AT 9:39 AM
JOHNDBEAM
[quote="flexy5"]You need to take it somewhere and have the codes checked. They will be stored in the memory, even if the light is not currently on. Do not buy any parts. Just post back the codes and we will go from there. There are several things that can cause this, but we need to be sure before we just start throwing parts at it--unneccessary time and expense. 8)
Dave
weekend check gave P0305 #5
Monday, February 4th, 2008 AT 9:55 AM
FLEXY5
This is a cylinder misfire code. Cylinder 5 is missing intermittently. When it misses it is severe enough to cause the computer to calculate: "if the miss persists, it could cause catalytic converter damage, or engine damage." That's why the light flashes. If the light were to come on steady, that's when the computer says, "hey somethings wrong, but no big deal." You problem may be a miss due to an injector sticking. But before you go straight to that repair, how old are the plugs and wires? I would change those before I would change an injector. If you believe that it might be the injecor, while the engine is missing, place a flat screwdriver against the injector body and the other end on your ear. Listen for the injector pulse and compare it to another injector. Cylinder 5 is the middle cylinder on the front side of the engine. This test will tell you if the miss is caused by the injector or the ignition system. If you have anhy other questions, feel free to ask. Post back your findings, too.
+1
Tuesday, February 5th, 2008 AT 10:22 PM