2001 Ford Taurus Check engine light

MCLTOM
  • 2001 FORD TAURUS
2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl

Quick history- Long warm up time and check engine light would come on from time to time. Changed plugs and it went off. Car overheated yet the temp gage never indicated hot. The reservoir started to leak so I replaced it. I added stop leak and it clogged heater core. The head gasket blew and I replaced it at the same time I also added failsafe thermostat, and water pump. Drove great for 500 miles then check engine light came back on code P0153. I cleaned MAF and numerous drive cycles later it went off. Lower idle since I replaced both head gaskets (surfaced also) was around 800 now 650 slight variations but runs fairly smooth. Engine light on and off was a problem prior the major repair. Any ideas what this intermittent light on and off could be?
Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 8:02 AM

MMPRINCE4000
My code library shows P0153 on a Ford as a "slow response from upstream sensor bank 2".

This could be a sensor heater malfunction or contaminated sensor from coolant from headgasket.
Coolant will destroy O2 sensors very quickly so the intermittent light could have been caused by the headgasket leak

An intermittent check engine light should set a code, have you had codes read after repair?

Also idle speed is low, should be 800-900 when engine is warm, so IAC may also be bad or stuck/binding.
Thursday, January 28th, 2010 AT 9:57 AM
MCLTOM
Prior the head gaskets cylyinder 5 code (number not known) faulty plug, injector, wire, coil pack.
This factor I just realized. Light would go on towards 1/4 tank and off after fill up around 3/4 tank however not every fill up.
After head gasket replaced light came on around 500 miles and O2 sensor error.
Cleaned MAF. Several fill ups later it went off around 3/4 tank it has not went back on yet. Lower idle since head gasket r&r. Can IAC be cleaned?
Saturday, January 30th, 2010 AT 9:07 AM
MMPRINCE4000
You can remove and clean the IAC, although they normally do not get very dirty.

You could remove and clean, disconnect negative battery cable first.
If you get an IAC code after cleaning, then PCM would need to be reflashed with IAC position % at closed throttle.

Probably better to simply start by cleaning the IAC connector with the MAF cleaner, then blow the connector dry.
Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 8:11 AM
MCLTOM
I will clean the connector. Would the IAC explain why it takes a long time for it to kick down from high idle to low idle when it is warming up if not what controls that? Where can I get manifold vacuume to see what is going on?
Sunday, January 31st, 2010 AT 9:10 AM
MMPRINCE4000
IAC controls idle to some extent, usually it can control idle in the 300-700rpm range. If idle is above that, then you generally have a vacuum leak.

Manifold vacuum would be any vacuum source on the intake manifold.

IAC bypasses air from intake tube to manifold to control idle. Throttle plate is set at factory and should NEVER be adjusted.
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 7:43 AM